AFL 2 years ago

St Kilda statement + full Carlisle sanctions

  • St Kilda statement + full Carlisle sanctions

The following statement is exclusive to the St Kilda Football Club and can also be found on saints.com.au

Following discussions between Jake Carlisle, his manager, St Kilda, the AFL and AFLPA, it was confirmed today that the 24-year-old has:

  • Volunteered to receive a detection under the AFL’s Illicit Drug Policy (IDP).
  • Forfeited his club marketing contract (ASA) of $50,000 in 2016 and agreed to further substantial variations of his playing contract.
  • Accepted a two-game AFL imposed home-and-away ban to start the season (with a four game suspended sentence for any further conduct unbecoming). He is permitted to play in the NAB Challenge and VFL.
  • Opted to commence training with St Kilda’s 1st - 4th year players this Monday, 9th November (two weeks ahead of his scheduled start date) and;
  • Undertaken to engage with a leading Alcohol & Drug Rehabilitation Program to understand the implications of glamorising drug use.

St Kilda senior coach Alan Richardson said Carlisle fronted the player leadership group and senior staff earlier this week to discuss how he can secure the trust and confidence of the club and wider football community.

You might also like

He said the meeting had been appropriately confronting and Carlisle was left in no doubt as to the club leaders’ frustration and disappointment with his conduct which occurred prior to him signing with the Saints.

“This has become a very costly mistake for Jake and he clearly commences his career at St Kilda on notice that such behaviour will not be tolerated,” Richardson said.

“It’s the worst possible way to start at a new club and he was given very honest and direct feedback about the standards expected of him. 

“To his credit, Jake has taken responsibility for his behaviour and has taken ownership of these sanctions which are important steps in him integrating as a Saints player.

“He now needs to work hard and buy into the culture and standards we are building. He needs to commit to making our people proud on and off the field.”

CEO Matt Finnis said while Jake was not a St Kilda player when the incident occurred, he was one by the time it was revealed and will be into the future.

“It’s a unique situation and one that we have strived to manage in an open, honest and professional manner,” Finnis said.

“We believe we have reached an outcome today that sends a very loud message to both Jake and the community that we do not condone his behaviour while still giving him the best chance to succeed moving forward.”

St Kilda captain Nick Riewoldt took part in this week’s discussion by phone from Texas and said the leadership group was frustrated and angry but welcomed the chance to clear the air with Carlisle.

“We have come so far as a club and we will not let this incident divert us,” Riewoldt said.

“Jake admitted he made a mistake and that’s important. The leadership group will now back ourselves to get the best out of him as both a player and person and support his efforts to win the confidence of the broader playing group and our fans.”

0 0
please wait...